Microsoft KB Archive/246040
Article ID: 246040
Article Last Modified on 10/27/2006
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 3
This article was previously published under Q246040
Every 30 days by default, Systems Management Server 2.0 clients go through a client verify cycle to ensure that the client components are correctly installed and working properly.
You can use the Client Verify tool (Cliverify.exe) to configure the client verify cycle on a site-by-site basis. You can use Cliverify.exe to turn off the client verify cycle or set it to occur on a different frequency. This tool is currently available from Microsoft Product Support Services.
The client verify cycle can negatively affect environments where network bandwidth is limited. Currently, clients must copy all client agents to the local computer to verify its installation. This can cause up to 20 MB of data to be downloaded to each client computer from a client access point (CAP). The amount of actual data varies, depending on which client agents are enabled. This can have a detrimental effect on network bandwidth as all clients perform this verify cycle on the same day.
You can use Cliverify.exe to change the interval of the client verify cycle. To modify the client verify cycle:
- Start Cliverify.exe, type the name of your Systems Management Server site server, and then click OK.
- Click to clear the Periodically Verify Client Installation check box to disable this feature, or set the Verify Interval value to an appropriate setting.
- Click OK.
NOTE: You must perform these steps for each Systems Management Server site server on which you want the client verify cycle adjusted.
For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
239564 SMS: Client Components Reinstalled During Periodic Verification
Additional query words: prodsms
Keywords: kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbinfo KB246040