Microsoft KB Archive/246039
Article ID: 246039
Article Last Modified on 2/28/2007
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
This article was previously published under Q246039
After you install Windows 2000 on a Compaq Presario 4880 computer with an ES1869 Plug and Play AudioDrive sound card and an ATI Rage Pro Turbo 2x video adapter, your sound card may not work. Also, the ES1869 may have a yellow exclamation point next to it in Device Manager indicating a problem exists with the device.
This issue can be caused by a Windows 2000 device arbitration issue between the video adapter and the sound card.
To work around this issue:
- Configure your computer Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) so that the plug-and-play operating system (PNP OS) setting is disabled, off, or set to NO. Note that this setting is typically enabled, on, or set to YES.
- Restart your computer and then test to determine if the issue is resolved. If it is not, run the Add New Hardware Wizard in Control Panel.
This behavior is by design in computers that do not support Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI).
Keywords: kbhardware kbprb kbsound KB246039