Microsoft KB Archive/175324
Article ID: 175324
Article Last Modified on 5/2/2006
- Microsoft Visual InterDev 1.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q175324
The following error occurs when you browse an Active Server Pages (ASP) file:
The following conditions cause the error to occur:
- The ASP file contains a WebBot from FrontPage 97.
- The ASP file contains a 'response.expires' or 'response.buffer'.
Every time the file is saved in Visual InterDev, the FrontPage Server Extensions parse the file and add the following line to the top of the file:
"<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN">"
NOTE: The local copy does not change, so you must obtain a working copy to see the changes.
With the above line added to the file, the response properties mentioned above are now set after the HTTP header has been written to the client browser.
Remove the WebBot.
Edit the ASP file in NotePad and remove the "DOCTYPE" line.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Create a new .htm file in a Visual InterDev project.
- Open the .htm file in Microsoft FrontPage 97 (Visual InterDev edition).
- Add the Timestamp bot to the .htm file. Save and close the file.
- Rename the .htm file extension to .asp, and open the .asp file in the default editor.
Add the following code to the third line (after <%@ LANGUAGE...) in the file:
- Save and preview the file. You receive the above-mentioned error message.
Get a working copy of the file and select Use Master Copy when prompted.
The first line of the file now contains the <doctype...> instead of <%@ language =...>
For the latest Knowledge Base articles and other support information on Visual InterDev and Active Server Pages, see the following page on the Microsoft Technical Support site:
Keywords: kbprb KB175324