Microsoft KB Archive/175211
Article ID: 175211
Article Last Modified on 1/22/2007
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q175211
If this article does not describe the error message that you are receiving, view the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to view more articles that describe error messages:
315854 Windows 98 and Windows Me Error Message Resource Center
Any or all of the following symptoms may occur:
- When you attempt to open or close Control Panel, or when you remove network components in Network properties and then restart Windows, you receive one of the following error messages:
The <0028:xxxxxxxx> value represents the enhanced instruction pointer to the code segment; the 32-bit address is the actual address where the exception occurred and can vary from computer to computer.
After you receive one of these error messages, you can still use Control Panel, but the Speaker icon may no longer appear on the taskbar. This behavior may also occur in Safe mode.
- When you start Windows, you receive the following error message:
- Windows 95 or Windows 98 Setup stops responding (hangs) while Control Panel is being configured.
This behavior can occur if a scanner is installed in your computer, and the Vhpscand.vxd file is located in the Windows\System folder instead of the Windows\System\Iosubsys folder.
To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.
- On the Tools menu, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
- In the Named box, type vhpscand.vxd, and then click Find Now.
- If the Vhpscand.vxd file is located in the Windows\System folder, right-click the Vhpscand.vxd file, and then click Cut.
- Right-click the Windows\System\Iosubsys folder, and then click Paste.
- Restart your computer.
The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
Additional query words: HP scanjet 4c 5p vhpscand vxd w98hem w98hemmay
Keywords: kb3rdparty kberrmsg kbfatalexerr0e kbhardware kbprb KB175211