Microsoft KB Archive/174971
Article ID: 174971
Article Last Modified on 8/28/2007
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q174971
Microsoft Outlook 97 does not have a converter for Netscape's e-mail program or its address book. This article describes a workaround that enables you to use the e-mail messages you received and the addresses you created with Netscape software.
Converting messages from Netscape Navigator and Netscape Communicator to Outlook requires an intermediary conversion to Microsoft Internet Mail. Microsoft Internet Mail (version 4.70.1162 and later) can import messages from Netscape Mail (version 2 or 3). Microsoft Outlook Express can also import from Netscape Communicator (version 4).
Converting E-Mail Messages
To convert e-mail messages, follow these steps:
- Start Microsoft Internet Mail (or Outlook Express), and on the File menu, point to Import, click Messages, select Netscape, and click OK.
- Select the Profile to import, and click OK.
- Select the folders to be imported, and click OK.
- After the above step is completed, on the File menu, point to Export, click Messages, and click OK.
- Click to select the Profile to export to, and click OK.
- Click to select the folders to be exported, and click OK.
- Start Outlook using the Profile you selected in Step 5.
When you check for new mail, the exported messages will appear in the Inbox.
Converting the Address Book to Outlook
To convert the address book to Outlook, follow these steps:
- Start Microsoft Internet Mail (or Outlook Express), and on the File menu, point to Import, and click Address Book.
- Click to select Netscape Address Book, and click Import.
- Click to select the Profile to import, and click OK.
After you complete the above steps, use the WabOut utility to convert the data. WabOut is a freeware utility that will import the contents of your Internet Mail Windows Address Book into Outlook.
For more information on importing messages and address books into Internet Mail, please see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
154677 Troubleshooting Importing in Microsoft Internet Mail
For more information about using the Windows Address Book with Outlook, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
164531 How to Use the Windows Address Book (WAB) With Outlook
For information about finding the build number of Internet Mail, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
161636 How to Identify the Installed Version of Internet Mail or News
For information about obtaining the latest update of Internet Mail and News, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
154457 Availability of Microsoft Internet Mail and News
Netscape Navigator and Netscape Communicator are manufactured by Netscape Communications Corporation, a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
WabOut is distributed by Empire.Net, Inc., a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
Keywords: kb3rdparty kbexport kbhowto kbimport kbmigrate KB174971