Microsoft KB Archive/174931
Article ID: 174931
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3
This article was previously published under Q174931
After you rename a printer and restart a computer running Windows NT Server or Workstation, the printer share may no longer be seen by Windows 95 and other non-Windows NT clients. The printer share is also missing when you use the NET VIEW command. The following error may occur when you connect to the printer share with a NET USE command:
In the Printers folder, the printer continues to display the sharing symbol, indicating it is shared.
To resolve this problem, perform the following steps:
- Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Printers.
- Right-click the printer, and then click Sharing.
- Click Not Shared, and then click OK.
- Right-click the printer again, and then click Sharing.
- Click Shared, and then click OK.
The printer share will now be available to remote users and the NET VIEW and NET USE commands will work properly.
There are other possible causes for missing printers. For more information, please see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
TITLE : Printer Shares Lost After Changing Server Name
Additional query words: missing lost gone share print share Printshare
Keywords: kbprb kbprint KB174931