Microsoft KB Archive/174916
Article ID: 174916
Article Last Modified on 5/12/2003
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 3.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 3.0b Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 5.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 5.0a
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 6.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 3.0b for Macintosh
This article was previously published under Q174916
"Feature is not available" error occurs when issuing an APPEND PROCEDURES command in a FoxPro executable.
The COMPILE feature is not available in a distributed application. The APPEND PROCEDURES command performs an implicit COMPILE of the database when stored procedures are added.
This behavior is by design.
This error message occurs because Visual FoxPro attempts to recompile the database code when the APPEND PROCEDURES command is issued. Visual FoxPro cannot perform this action in the runtime environment.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
Create a database using the following command:
CREATE DATA mytestdata
Create a procedure file with the command MODIFY COMMAND myprocs and add the following lines of code:
PROCEDURE myproc ENDPROC
Create a project with the following MAIN program code:
OPEN DATA mytestdata APPEND PROCEDURES FROM myprocs.prg
- Build an executable, quit Visual FoxPro, and run the executable.
The "Feature is not available" error will occur on the APPEND PROCEDURES command.
For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
139386 Features not Available in a Distributed Application
Keywords: kberrmsg kbprb KB174916