Microsoft KB Archive/174704
Article ID: 174704
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q174704
You can build Contacts for Microsoft Outlook 97 from a file of names and addresses used in Microsoft Word 97 as a mail merge data source file. This article describes how to accomplish this task.
If the Word data source file is in the form of a comma-delimited text file, it is ready for direct importing into Outlook. See the "Steps to Import a Comma Delimited File to Outlook" section later in this article.
If the data source file is in the form of a Word table, you must first convert it to a comma-delimited text file.
NOTE: There must be no embedded commas in the data.
Steps to Convert a Word Table to Comma-Delimited Text
- In Word, on the File menu, click Open.
- Select the mail merge data source file, and then click Open.
- On the Table menu, click Select Table.
- On the Table menu, click Convert Table to Text.
- Click Commas, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Save As.
- In the Save As Type list, select Text Only with Line Breaks, type a name for the file, and then change the file extension from .txt to .csv, for example, "text.csv" including the quotation marks.
- Click Save, and then close Word.
Steps to Import a Comma Delimited File to Outlook
- On the Outlook File menu click Import and Export.
- Select Import from Schedule Plus or another program or file and then click Next.
- Select Comma Separated Values (Windows) and then click Next.
- Type or browse to the name of the comma delimited file and then click Next.
- Select the Contacts folder to receive the imported records and then click Next.
- Select Import <file name> into the <folder name> folder, and then click Map Custom Fields.
- Map the fields by dragging the fields from the data source file to the appropriate Contact record fields. Note that those Contact record fields with a plus sign must be expanded to display field detail.
- After all fields have been mapped, Click OK and then click Finish.
Additional query words: wd97 off97
Keywords: kbexport kbhowto kbimport kbmigrate KB174704