Microsoft KB Archive/174671
Article ID: 174671
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator: WWII Europe Series
- Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2: WWII Pacific Theater
- Microsoft Flight Simulator 95
- Microsoft Flight Simulator 98 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 Professional Edition
This article was previously published under Q174671
When you use the keyboard to fly in any of the programs listed at the beginning of this article, the game may not recognize keypad button presses.
This behavior can occur if the following conditions are true:
- You configure the keyboard on your laptop computer to emulate keypad signals.
- The keyboard on your laptop computer sends non-standard signals for keypad presses to the computer.
To resolve this issue, connect a numeric keypad or an external keyboard with a numeric keypad to your laptop computer.
To work around this issue, manually configure the keyboard controls in Flight Simulator or Combat Flight Simulator to assign all actions to standard, single-press keys on the keyboard. You can also purchase a USB Joystick to be used with the game.
NOTE: Do not assign any action to an emulated key on your keyboard. As an example, if you have to press two keys on the keyboard to emulate the F1 key, do not assign any action to the F1 key.
To configure the keyboard controls:
- If you are running Combat Flight Simulator, click Settings on the Options menu, and then click Customize Controls.
If you are running Flight Simulator 98, click Custom Controls on the Options menu.
- Under Control device, click Keyboard, and then click the Assignments tab.
- In the Keyboard column, click to select Num 4. By default, this control is located on the Left Ailerons or Bank left (ailerons) row.
- Click Assign, and then press the key you want to use for that action.
- Repeat steps 3-4 to change the key for any action that is currently assigned to one of the following controls:
- If you have to press a key combination to emulate a function key, repeat steps 4-5 to change the key for any action that is currently assigned to one of the following controls
- When you finish customizing the controls, click OK. If you are running Combat Flight Simulator, click OK again.
For more information about how to customize controls in one of the programs listed at the beginning of this article, please see the appropriate topic in your online User's Guide.
Additional query words: ailerons elevator fs98 keyboard controls configuration numeric keypad fs95 fs2000 fs2002 cfs
Keywords: kbpending kbprb kbusage KB174671