Microsoft KB Archive/174661
Article ID: 174661
Article Last Modified on 10/12/2007
- Microsoft IntelliMouse 1.0
- Microsoft IntelliPoint 2.0
- Microsoft SideWinder Mouse
This article was previously published under Q174661
After you install the IntelliPoint software, you may experience any of the following symptoms:
- The mouse pointer may not respond correct when you move the IntelliMouse.
- The mouse pointer may respond, but the wheel may not. Additionally, the Wheel options in the Mouse tool in Control Panel may be greyed out.
The PS/2 port on your computer may not be compatible with the IntelliMouse.
Check Installed Mouse Driver
There are other possible causes of these symptoms. If the PS/2 port is not compatible, Windows cannot successfully detect the IntelliMouse. Check Device Manager to see if the Microsoft Mouse With Wheel device is listed. To do so, follow these steps:
- Press CTRL+ESC to open the Start menu.
- Use the ARROW keys to select Settings, and then press ENTER.
- Use the ARROW keys to select Control Panel, and then press ENTER.
- Use the ARROW keys to select System, and then press ENTER.
- Press CTRL+TAB to select the Device Manager tab.
- Press TAB twice to get to the device list (Computer should be selected).
- Use the DOWN ARROW key to select Mouse. If there is a PLUS SIGN (+) next to Mouse, press the RIGHT ARROW key to expand the Mouse branch.
- Check for the Microsoft Mouse With Wheel device.
If the Microsoft Mouse With Wheel device is listed, it is likely that the PS/2 port is compatible with the IntelliMouse. This indicates that you may have a conflict with software or earlier mouse drivers.
For additional information about a software or driver issue, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
172150 IntelliMouse Wheel Does Not Work Properly
If Microsoft Mouse With Wheel is not listed, the most likely cause of the problem is an incompatible PS/2 port. Follow these steps to correct the problem:
- Shut down Windows, and then turn off your computer.
- Unplug your mouse from the PS/2 port.
- Use the IntelliMouse serial adapter to connect the mouse to an available serial (COM) port. (This adapter is included with the IntelliMouse Serial or PS/2 Compatible mouse.)
- When you have connected the mouse to the serial port, turn the computer back on and start Windows. When Windows starts, you should see the following message: This message indicates that the IntelliMouse was successfully detected on the serial port.
The adapter included with the IntelliMouse Serial or PS/2 Compatible mouse is part number 68666. Other mouse adapters may not work correctly with the IntelliMouse.
For more information about how to solve problems related to Microsoft Pointing Devices, use the Pointing Devices Troubleshooter located at the following Microsoft Web site:
Additional query words: laptop desktop dell toshiba gateway pb packard bell kbimu grey gray greyed grayed
Keywords: kbhardware kbenv kbfaq KB174661