Microsoft KB Archive/174488
Article ID: 174488
Article Last Modified on 10/17/2003
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Enterprise Edition
This article was previously published under Q174488
When building setup disks for a Jet-based database application with the Setup Wizard, the Setup Wizard doesn't include the Microsoft Jet database engine files. When you install the application and try to run it, you get the following error:
The Setup Wizard doesn't know to add the Microsoft Jet database engine if you are using the Microsoft DAO 2.5/3.5 Compatibility Library instead of the Microsoft DAO 3.5 Object Library.
Use one of the two following methods to resolve this problem:
- Open the project and on the Project menu, click References.
- Clear the Microsoft DAO 2.5/3.5 Compatibility Library and select the Microsoft DAO 3.5 Object Library.
- Click OK.
- Save the project.
- Return to References, switch the object libraries back again (that is, do the reverse of what was instructed in step 2 above), and resave the project.
- In the Setup Wizard - ActiveX Server Components pane of the Setup Wizard, click Add Local, and add MSJET35.DLL from your Windows\System directory (Windows 95) or Windows\System32 directory (Windows NT). This process adds the Microsoft Jet 3.5 database engine and its supporting files.
NOTE: Adding MSJET35.DLL does not resolve the problem if the project has never had a reference to the Microsoft DAO 3.5 Object Library.
Use the Microsoft DAO 3.5 Object Library instead.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article. We are researching this bug and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Create a new application and add a reference to the Microsoft DAO 2.5/3.5 Compatibility Library.
- Create setup disks using the Setup Wizard.
- Install the application on a new machine (that does not already have Jet installed).
- Run the application and note the error message.
- Repeat the above steps, but add a reference to the Microsoft DAO 3.5 Object Library. The application should run correctly.
Examine the SETUP.LST file of the second application and note that it includes the following required files that the first application does not include:
Additional query words: distribution
Keywords: kbfix kbprb KB174488