Microsoft KB Archive/174436
Game Port Resource Settings for SideWinder Force Feedback
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Pro
- Microsoft SideWinder Game Device software version 2.0
Microsoft SideWinder Game Devices require a game port address within the range of 0200-0209.
The game port must be listed in Device Manager (usually in the Sound, Video And Game Controllers branch) and must also be compatible with the original IBM Game Control Adapter specification.
In addition, the Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Pro joystick can use an MPU-401 compatible port in the 0300-03F0 range for "direct MIDI port" (wavetable shared resource mode), any Windows MIDI output port for standard Windows multimedia access (any sound card that does not use a Wave Blaster compatible wavetable); or 03F8, 02F8, 03E8, or 02E8 for the serial adapter.
NOTE: Game ports that do background polling or rely on global game port drivers do not work with the SideWinder Force Feedback Pro.
To check the resource settings for your sound card, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click System, and then click the Device Manager tab.
- Make sure View Devices By Type is selected.
- Double-click Sound, Video And Game Controllers to expand the branch.
- Click the entry in the list that identifies your sound card. Do not click the Gameport Joystick entry; this is not related to the external MIDI port.
NOTE: If your sound card is not listed, try looking in the main branch of Device Manager under Computer. Some sound cards are listed in their own section in Device Manager.
- Click Properties, and then click the Resources tab.
- Locate the entry for Input/Output Range in the Resource Type column under Resource Settings. There may be more than one entry.
- Verify that one of the entries listed matches the appropriate values for your game port.
Additional query words: side winder device joy stick feed back
Keywords : kbenv kbhw swff kbimu
Version : WINDOWS:2.0
Platform : WINDOWS
Issue type : kbinfo
Last Reviewed: April 30, 1999