Microsoft KB Archive/174348
Article ID: 174348
Article Last Modified on 8/28/2007
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q174348
When you start Microsoft Outlook 97, you may receive the following error message:
This problem may occur when both of the following conditions are true:
- You have the option to "Automatically record these items" in the Journal selected for at least one Office program.
- The Office item log file OFFITEMS.LOG is damaged.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Rename the OFFITEMS.LOG file. By default Outlook journal logs are stored in the c:\windows or c:\winnt folder.
- Restart Outlook and wait at least 30 seconds for the error to appear.
Outlook's Journal feature allows you to record the create, open, close and save events for any file in Office `97. If renaming the log files allows Outlook to start successfully, the log files will be regenerated, however any journaling information contained in the original log file will be lost.
For more information on the Journal feature of outlook, please see the following article(s) in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
172002 Setting Outlook Journal Registry Entries
167975 Office Programs Stop Responding While Outlook is Busy
Additional query words: winnt