Microsoft KB Archive/174154
Article ID: 174154
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q174154
When using the Rules Wizard in Microsoft Outlook 97, there is no rule to keep from processing subsequent rules.
This is by design. The Rules Wizard processes all rules in order.
Sequence all the rules in the Rules Wizard "Apply rules in the following order" dialog box, in the order you wish them to be processed.
Remove the Rules Wizard add-in and revert to the use of the Inbox Assistant.
The Rules Wizard is a free utility that allows you to filter or sort e-mail messages based on user-defined criteria. While it has several advantages over the Inbox Assistant, it does not provide a rule called "Do not process Subsequent rules" which suspends the processing of the list of rules.
Since the Rules Wizard process all the rules listed, it is very important to list them in the correct sequence.
To re-sequence your list of rules in the Rules Wizard, follow these steps:
- On the Tools menu, click Rules Wizard.
- In the "Apply rules in the following order" window, click to select a rule you wish to move.
- Click "Move Up" or "Move Down" to reposition the rule.
- Click OK to save the changes and quit the Rules Wizard.
You can remove the Rules Wizard and revert to using the Inbox Assistant if you need the "Do not process subsequent rules" option.
To remove the Rules Wizard add-in, follow these steps:
- On Tools menu, click Options and then click the General tab.
- Click Add-In Manager.
- Click to clear all Rules Wizard entries and click OK, and OK.
- On the Tools menu, click Inbox Assistant.
- Click to select each of your Inbox Assistant rules.
- Click OK.
For more information on the Rules Wizard, please see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
171679 OL97: Overview of the Rules Wizard Add-in
171725 OL97: Outlook Rules Wizard Troubleshooting
Keywords: kbprb KB174154