Microsoft KB Archive/174090
Article ID: 174090
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Access 95 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q174090
Moderate: Requires basic macro, coding, and interoperability skills.
If you modify the column width while viewing a system table and then close that system table, you receive following prompt:
Do you want to save changes to the layout of table '<System Tablename>'?
If you click Yes, the Save As dialog box appears with the option to save the table to an external file or database.
In Microsoft Access, users are not granted the permissions necessary for modifying any of the system tables. This includes making changes to the table's layout.
Although you cannot modify the table layout of a Microsoft Access system table, you can create a form in Datasheet view that displays the information from the system table. You can then modify the layout of the form to include the desired column widths. The following steps demonstrate how this is done:
- Create a new form using the AutoForm: Datasheet Wizard and select the MSysObjects table as the data source for the form. Click Finish.
- Resize one of the column widths, and then close and save the form as MSysObjects.
Note that the system table information is now displayed in the column width you specified.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Start Microsoft Access and create a new blank database named db1.mdb.
- On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the View tab.
- Click the System Objects check box, and then click OK.
- Click the Tables tab and open the MSysObjects table.
- Resize any column.
- Close the table.
- When the message "Do you want to save changes to the layout of table 'MSysObjects'?" appears, click Yes.
Note that the Save As dialog box appears, and you can only select "To an External File or Database."
For more information about system tables, search the Help Index for "system tables," or ask the Microsoft Access 97 Office Assistant.
Additional query words: sys
Keywords: kbprb KB174090