Microsoft KB Archive/174062
Article ID: 174062
Article Last Modified on 8/28/2007
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
- MSN 5.5 Software
- MSN 5.6 Software
- MSN 7 Software
- MSN 7 Software
This article was previously published under Q174062
To use Microsoft Outlook 97 to send and receive e-mail using MSN, The Microsoft Network, you must install the Internet Mail Enhancement Patch Final Release.
To install the Internet Mail Enhancement Patch Final Release, follow these steps:
- Visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/9798/outlimep.aspx
- Follow the instructions to download the Internet Mail Enhancement Patch Final Release.
- When you are prompted to Open or Save To Disk, click Open.
- Finish installing the Internet Mail Enhancement Patch Final Release, disconnect from the Internet, and then restart your computer.
Configuring Outlook 97 After Installing the Internet Mail Enhancement Patch Final Release
To configure Outlook 97 after installing the Internet Mail Enhancement Patch Final Release with an MSN Post Office Protocol (POP3) mail server, use the following steps:
- Start Outlook 97; on the Tools menu, click Services.
- Click Add, click the Internet E-mail information service, and then click OK.
- Under Mail Account, type a name for the server (for example, MSN POP3 Mail Server).
- Under User Information, type the appropriate information about the account you are using in the Name, Organization, E-mail Address, and Reply Address boxes. Note that entries in the Organization and Reply Address boxes are optional.
- On the Servers tab, type smtp.email.msn.com in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) box.
NOTE: If you gain access to MSN through a third-party ISP or local area network (LAN)--this includes DSL, Cable mode, or Satellite--type secure.smtp.email.msn.com in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) box.
- In the Incoming Mail (POP3) box, type pop3.email.msn.com.
- Click Log on using Secure Password Authentication.
- On the Connection tab, click the appropriate connection type. If you connect to the Internet using a local area network, click I Use A LAN Connection. If you connect to the Internet using MSN or a third-party Internet service provider (ISP), click I Connect Manually.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then type 25 in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) box.
- In the Incoming Mail (POP3) box, type 110.
- Click OK, and then restart Outlook 97.
- On the Tools menu, click Services, and then on the Delivery tab, click the Internet E-mail information service you want to use as your primary mail service.
- Click the Up Arrow until the Internet E-mail information service is at the top of the list.
- Click OK. Note that the new configuration affects only messages composed after the change is made.
NOTE: If the Internet E-mail information service is configured in a profile with the Exchange Server information service, the profile sends incoming mail to the Exchange Server information service. To use the Internet E-mail information service, create a separate profile with the Internet E-mail information service.
If you selected I Connect Manually in step 9 above, use the following steps to verify your Internet connection settings:
- Quit Outlook 97, and then right-click the Internet icon on the desktop, click Properties, and then click the Connection tab.
- If you connect to the Internet using MSN or a third-party ISP, click Connect to the Internet as needed. Verify that the Dial-Up Networking connection for your ISP is selected in the Use the following Dial-Up Networking connection box. If MSN is your Internet service provider, the Dial-Up Networking connection should be MSN.
- Click OK.
Additional query words: msnet msnetwork microsoft-net m.s.n. outexw95 kbimu
Keywords: kbfaq kbinfo KB174062