Microsoft KB Archive/173863
Money 98: Does Not Use MSN Backup Number
PSS ID Number: Q173863 Article last modified on 08-19-1998
The information in this article applies to:
- == Microsoft Money 98 ==
In Money 98 if you are using MSN, The Microsoft Network, as your Internet Service Provider (ISP) you may receive the following error message when trying to connect to the Internet:
The phone number is busy: Make sure the phone line is not in use and try again.
This problem will occur when Money dials the MSN primary number and the number is busy. Money does not automatically use the MSN secondary number if the primary number is busy.
Wait a few minutes and try the call again later. As a workaround, you can create a secondary number for Money to use. See the “Workaround” section later in this article for more information.
If you find that the primary number is busy more often then not, you can create a Dial-Up Networking connection that will dial a secondary number. The following steps explain how to find out if a secondary number is available and if so, how to create a Dial-Up Networking connection and how to use it in Money 98. There are several steps to this process.
- Verify a secondary number is available
- Create a Dial-Up Networking connection
- Choose which connection to use in Money
NOTE: Because there are several versions of Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, please consult your product documentation to complete these steps.
Verify a Secondary Number is Available
- On your desktop, right-click the MSN icon, and then click Connection Settings on the shortcut menu.
- Under “MSN is my dial-up Internet access provider,” click Access Numbers.
- You will see a primary number and a secondary number listed. If the numbers are different, a secondary number is available. If they are the same a secondary number is currently not available.
- Click Cancel twice to exit.
Create a Dial-Up Networking Connection
- On the desktop, double-click My Computer.
- Double-click Dial-Up Networking folder.
- Double-click the Make New Connection icon, and give the connection a name, such as MSN Backup Phone Number, and click Next.
- In the Telephone number box, enter the MSN backup number, click Next, and then click Finish.
Choose Which Connection to Use in Money
- On the Tools menu, click Options and then click the Online Services tab.
- Click Internet Connection Settings.
- Click to select “Have Money connect to the Internet using my Internet Service Provider from the list below.”
- In the list, select the Dial-Up Networking connection that you would like to use. This is where you would select the New Dial-Up Networking connection you made for a MSN secondary/backup number.
- Click OK twice.
Repeat these steps to change to a different Dial-Up Networking connection. You should now be ready to make the call.
Additional query words: w_money 6.0 woody
Keywords : kberrmsg kbdta Version : WINDOWS:98 99 Platform : WINDOWS Issue type : kbbug Solution Type : kbfix ============================================================================= Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1998.