Microsoft KB Archive/173699
MXL5: Unknown Error "ID = -50" Printing to a File
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Excel for the Macintosh, versions 5.0, 5.0a
When you try to print a workbook, you may receive the following error message:
An unknown error has occurred.
ID = -50
This problem may occur if both of the following conditions are true:
- You are using a LaserWriter version 8.4.x printer driver.
- You are trying to print the workbook to a file.
NOTE: System 7.6 and later install LaserWriter version 8.4.x printer drivers.
To workaround this problem, use either of the two following methods.
Method 1: Use a Different Version of the Printer Driver
This problem does not occur when you use LaserWriter printer driver versions that are earlier than version 8.4.x. The problem does not occur when you use the following versions of the LaserWriter printer driver:
Method 2: Print the Workbook in Microsoft Word
You can open your workbook, one worksheet at a time, directly in Microsoft Word, and then print it as a file. To open a worksheet in Microsoft Word, follow these steps:
- On the File menu, click Open.
- Click All Files in the "List Files of Type" list.
- Locate and click to select the workbook, and then click Open.
- In the Open Worksheet dialog box, click to select the worksheet (and the named range if applicable). Click OK.
The worksheet is opened as a table in a Word document.
- On the File menu, click Print.
- Click File in the Destination list.
- Click Save.
- Specify a file name and location and click Save.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q113658 Generating EPS or PostScript File from LaserWriter 8.x Driver
Additional query words: mac
Keywords : kberrmsg xlprint
Version : MACINTOSH:5.0,5.0a
Platform : MACINTOSH
Issue type : kbbug
Last Reviewed: September 14, 1999