Microsoft KB Archive/173678
Article ID: 173678
Article Last Modified on 8/20/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q173678
When you undo the dragging of an AutoShape or Text Box object from one document to another (shown as Move Object in the list of actions you can undo), you can receive unexpected results.
Case 1: Dragging an AutoShape
When you click Undo, the AutoShape reappears in the original document but does not disappear from the second document.
Case 2: Dragging a Text Box
When you click Undo, the Text Box disappears from the second document but does not reappear in the original document.
To work around this problem, click Undo in both documents. To do this, follow these steps.
- Immediately after dragging the object, click the Undo button on the Standard toolbar.
- Click the mouse pointer in the other document to make that document active.
- Click the Undo button on the Standard toolbar.
The object reappears in the original document and disappears from the second document.
To prevent this problem from occurring, drag the paragraph that the object is anchored to instead of just dragging the object. To do this, follow these steps.
NOTE: If you need to show both documents, click Arrange All on the Window menu.
- Select the text (including the paragraph mark) of the paragraph that contains the object's anchor.
NOTE: Make sure there are at least two paragraphs in the document, and that you select the correct paragraph mark. To show paragraph marks, press the Show/Hide button on the Standard toolbar.
- Drag the text to the second document. Both the text and AutoShape object are moved.
The Undo button now makes the object reappear in the original document and disappear from the second document.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Word 97 for Windows.
For additional information about the Undo feature, please see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
172542 OFF97: Using the Undo Feature with Inserted Objects
142751 How To Disable the Undo Function in Word
Additional query words: 8.0 8.00
Keywords: kbbug kbpending KB173678