Microsoft KB Archive/173608
Article ID: 173608
Article Last Modified on 10/22/2000
- Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q173608
In Microsoft Excel 97, if you edit a comment on a cell, changes to the comment may be lost when you select any other cell in the worksheet.
This problem may occur when all of the following conditions are true:
- You share the workbook by clicking Share Workbook on the Tools menu. -and-
- You have the workbook displayed in two or more windows. -and
- When you are editing the comment, the comment is visible in two or more windows.
To prevent this problem from occurring, use any of the following methods.
Have the Comment Visible in Only One Window
Make sure that the comment is visible only in one window when you edit it. To do this, use any of the following methods:
- Minimize any windows that display the same workbook. -or-
- Close any windows that display the same workbook. -or-
- Scroll any windows that display the same workbook, so that they do not display the comment. -or-
- Hide any windows that display the same workbook by clicking Hide on the Window menu, or by moving some other window in front of them.
Press ESC Before You Change the Comment
If you press ESC before you actually make any changes to the comment, the changes are retained when you select any other cell in the worksheet.
You can also prevent this problem by not sharing the workbook. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Share Workbook on the Tools menu.
- Click the Editing tab.
- Click to clear the Allow Changes check box, and then click OK.
Note that if you do this, other users can no longer make changes to the workbook when you have it open.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article.
In Excel 97, you can share a workbook so that multiple users can simultaneously make changes to the workbook. To share a workbook, click Share Workbook on the Tools menu, click to select the Allow Changes check box, and then click OK.
You can also insert a comment in a cell in a worksheet. To do this, select the cell that you want to comment, and click Comment on the Insert menu. To edit existing comments, select the cell that contains the comment and click Edit Comment on the Insert menu, or right-click the cell and then click Edit Comment on the shortcut menu.
Additional query words: XL97 cell notes
Keywords: kbbug KB173608