Microsoft KB Archive/173540
Article ID: 173540
Article Last Modified on 10/31/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q173540
After you upgrade a system from Windows NT 3.51 to Windows NT 4.0, the Settings window in Display Properties comes up and prompts you to install a new driver every time the system restarts.
If the system is restarted from the Default option in Boot.ini (which is the first entry), the Display Properties screen reappears. If the system is restarted in VGA mode, there is no message.
The upgrade process could not determine the correct video driver to install. You must upgrade the video driver manually.
To manually install the correct driver:
- In Control Panel, double-click Display, and then click the Settings tab.
- Click the Display Type button, and then click the Change button.
- Select ATI Technologies in the Manufacturers menu.
- Select ATI Technologies 8514 ULTRA in the Display menu.
- Install the drivers.
Keywords: kb3rdparty kbhardware kbsetup KB173540