Microsoft KB Archive/173440
Article ID: 173440
Article Last Modified on 1/27/2005
- Microsoft Excel 5.0 for Macintosh
- Microsoft Excel 5.0a for Macintosh
- Microsoft Excel 98 for Macintosh
- Microsoft Word 6.0 for Macintosh
This article was previously published under Q173440
If you open or close a Microsoft Excel workbook or a Microsoft Word document, you may receive the following error message:
Note that <program> is either Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Word. The only option is to click OK. If you click OK, the program quits.
This problem may occur if all of the following conditions are true:
- You are running Mac OS 8.0.
- Symantec Anti-Virus for the Macintosh (SAM) version 4.5.1 is installed and running.
- The Symantec Anti-Virus for the Macintosh preference for "Scan for known viruses" is selected in the When Applications Run options group.
- You are opening, closing, or saving a workbook or document and your program attempts to display a dialog box.
Actions that can cause a dialog box to appear include opening an Excel workbook with links, closing a file that has never been saved, closing a file in which you have made changes, or closing a file you are saving in a different file format. NOTE: This problem occurs only once each time you restart the computer. If you receive the error message described in this article and you click OK, the program unexpectedly quits. However, if you restart the program, the error message does not reappear.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Double-click the alias for Symantec Anti-Virus for the Macintosh in the Control Panels folder in the System folder.
This step starts the Symantec Anti-Virus for the Macintosh Control Panel device.
- In the Symantec Anti-Virus for the Macintosh dialog box, click Preferences.
- In the left side of the SAM Set Preferences dialog box, click Scan.
- Clear the "Scan for known viruses" check box under When Applications Run.
- Click Save.
- On the File menu, click Quit.
- Restart the computer.
Symantec Anti-Virus for the Macintosh is manufactured by Symantec Corporation, a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
For information about how to contact Symantec, query in the Knowledge Base for one of the following articles:
The third-party contact information included in this article is provided to help you find the technical support you need. This contact information is subject to change without notice. Microsoft in no way guarantees the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
Additional query words: mac system 8.0 XL5 XL98 wd6
Keywords: kberrmsg kbprb KB173440