Microsoft KB Archive/173416
Article ID: 173416
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
This article was previously published under Q173416
You may experience the following symptoms:
- When you right-click the Recycle Bin, the Empty Recycle Bin command may be unavailable.
- When you right-click the Recycle Bin, the Properties command may be unavailable.
- Files that you delete may be permanently deleted rather than moved to the Recycle Bin.
This behavior can occur if your fixed hard disk is marked as a removable drive.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click System.
- Click the Device Manager tab.
- Double-click the Disk Drives branch to expand it.
- Click your hard disk, and then click Properties.
- On the Settings tab, click the Removable check box to clear it.
- Click OK, and then click OK.
- Restart your computer.
Note that you cannot use these steps to treat an actual removable drive as a fixed drive. If the drive is removable, the Removable option is reset when you restart the computer.
Additional query words: Zip Jaz Optical greyed grayed out media
Keywords: kbdiskmemory kbenv KB173416