Microsoft KB Archive/173378
Article ID: 173378
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q173378
When you use a style that contains a numbered list and left indentation, and then you restart numbering for another list, Word removes the left indentation from the numbered lists and from the style definition.
To restart numbering for another list and have Word preserve the left indentation for the lists, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Create a Custom Style
- Select a numbered list that is indented correctly, as you want it.
- On the Format menu, click Style.
- In the Style dialog box, click New.
- In the Name box, type a new style name.
- Click to select the Add to template box.
- Click Modify and then click Numbering in the list.
- Click Customize. Set the indent from the left, or ensure that the indent is set correctly. (For example: Left indent set to .5".)
- Ensure that the Text indent setting is also set correctly. (For example: Text indent set to .75".)
- Click OK.
- Click Apply.
The indentation will remain in all the numbered lists that are based on this style, even when you restart numbering.
Method 2: Restart the Numbered List
To restart the numbering of a list, follow these steps:
- Press ENTER twice at the end of the first list.
- On the Format menu, click Bullets and Numbering, and then click the Numbered tab.
- Click to select the numbering scheme that you want, and then click to select Restart Numbering.
- Click OK.
NOTE: After applying the list numbering, you can remove the empty paragraphs between the numbered lists without affecting the numbering scheme.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
For additional information, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
159943 WD97: General Information About Bullets and Numbering
172764 WD97: Changes to List Number Styles May be Lost
Keywords: kbbug kblayout kbnofix kbnumbering KB173378