Microsoft KB Archive/173146
Article ID: 173146
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q173146
The Web Authoring Tools support the ability to perform an administrative installation for use with "Run From Network Server" installations of Word.
To update the Web Authoring Tools in a "Run From Network Server" environment, use the steps described in this article.
The following list of steps must be performed to properly create a "Run From Network" installation of the updated Web Authoring Tools:
- Download the latest version of the Web Authoring Tools file, Wd97au.exe, to a client machine that has been set up to run Word from the server.
For more information about where to obtain the latest version of the Web Authoring Tools, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
163299 WD97: Web Page Authoring Tools AutoUpdate
- When given the choice to either save to disk or open the Wd97au.exe, click Save To Disk.
- Ensure there are no users running Word 97 from the server.
- On the client machine, from the Windows 95 Start menu, click Run.
- Type in the following Setup script, substituting the path in the following example for the path location of the Wd97au.exe you downloaded in steps 1 and 2.
- You must restart Windows at the client machine you ran the setup script from before the updated settings will take effect. The Server does not need to be restarted.
- After restarting the client machine, users at other workstations will see the changes the next time they start or install Word 97.
This method does not install the Web Publishing Wizard. The Web Publishing Wizard must be set up on each computer. To set up the Web Publishing Wizard, use the following steps:
- Copy or download the Wd97au.exe to each client machine setup to run Word from the server.
- If Word is currently running, exit Word.
- Type in the following Setup script, substituting the path in the following example for the path location of the Wd97au.exe you downloaded or copied in step 1.
For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
172502 WD97: Troubleshooting Setup for the Web AutoUpdate Feature
Additional query words: 8.0 8.00
Keywords: kbhowto kbinfo KB173146