Microsoft KB Archive/172858
Article ID: 172858
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Office 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q172858
When you attempt to activate a Microsoft Excel 97 workbook object that is embedded in a Microsoft Word 97 document or a Microsoft PowerPoint 97 presentation, you may receive one of the following error messages:
This problem occurs if the following conditions are true:
- The workbook object is protected with a password (point to Protection on the Tools menu, click Protect Workbook, and then enter a password in the Password box).
- Your computer is using French regional settings.
Specifically, the problem occurs because you cannot activate a Microsoft Excel 97 workbook object that is protected with a password when your computer is using French regional settings.
To resolve this problem, switch the regional settings on the computer to English before you attempt to activate the workbook object again. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Regional Settings. Click the Regional Settings tab.
- In the list of regional settings, click "English (United States)" or another English setting. Then, click OK.
- When you are prompted to restart the computer, do so.
After the computer is restarted, start Microsoft Word 97 or Microsoft PowerPoint 97, open the document that contains the workbook object, and then activate the workbook object.
Once the workbook object is activated correctly, unprotect the workbook object. If you protect the workbook object again, make sure you do not apply a password to the workbook.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Additional query words: OFF97 XL97 WD97 PP97 france belgium switzerland luxembourg standard rc4 encrypt decrypt
Keywords: kbbug kberrmsg kbinterop KB172858