Microsoft KB Archive/172852
Article ID: 172852
Article Last Modified on 3/13/2007
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q172852
This article describes how to configure the AT&T Worldnet Internet Service Provider (ISP) for use with the Internet Mail Enhancement Patch for Microsoft Outlook 97 (IMEP).
To configure the AT&T Worldnet ISP, the following tasks must be completed:
- Setup the Worldnet e-mail service
- Complete the General tab
- Complete the Servers type
- Complete the Connection tab
- Define the Server type
- Complete the "Connect To..." information
Setup the Worldnet e-mail service
- On the Outlook Tools menu, click Services.
- On the Services tab, click Add.
- Click Internet E-mail, and then click OK.
Complete the General tab
- Type a name to identify this service.
- Type a Name to identify this user.
- Type the user's e-mail address. This is the user's alias followed by @worldnet.att.net.
Complete the Servers tab
- In the Outgoing Mail box, type mailhost.worldnet.att.net, in lowercase.
- In the Incoming Mail, type postoffice.worldnet.att.net, in lowercase.
- Click to select Logon using.
- In the Account Name box, type the portion of the e-mail name (chosen by the user) preceding the @ sign.
For example, if the e-mail name is email@example.com, use johndoe
- In the Password box, type the password chosen by the user. The password is case-sensitive.
Complete the Connection tab
- Click to select I use a modem to access my e-mail.
- Click Add.
- Type a name to identify this connection such as WORLDNET.
- Select your modem from the list, and then click OK.
- Type the area code and telephone number of your Worldnet connection, click Next and then click Finish.
Define the Server type
- Click Properties, and then click Server Type.
- In the Type of Dial-Up Server window, click PPP:Windows 95, Windows NT 3.5, Internet.
- Click TCP/IP Settings.
- Click to select Server assigned IP address.
- Click to select Specify Name server addresses and then type the Primary Domain Name Service (DNS) and Secondary DNS. Worldnet supplies these addresses.
- Click to select Use IP header compression and Use default gateway on remote network.
- Click OK three times.
- Restart Outlook.
Complete the "Connect To..." information
- On the Tools menu click, Check for new mail.
- Type the network access ID that supplied by Worldnet. This will be a nine-digit number followed by @worldnet.att.net.
- Type the Network access password that is assigned by Worldnet. This is typically in the form of two words that are separated by a hyphen.
- Click to select Save Password.
Note It is important to remember that the account/e-mail name and password are chosen by the user. However, the network access ID and password are assigned by Worldnet.
For more information about how to set up the Worldnet ISP, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
162493 Connection error using AT&T Internet Mail with Outlook 97
161973 Troubleshooting Outlook configuration problems
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.
Keywords: kbconfig kbhowto kbsetup KB172852