Microsoft KB Archive/172819
Article ID: 172819
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q172819
In Word 6.x or 7.x, if you use the Word 97 import converter to open a mail merge main document created in Word 97, the data document is no longer attached to the main document.
NOTE: The text, formatting, and field codes of the main document remain intact, but the main document is no longer a mail merge main document and the data file is no longer attached. No error messages are displayed.
To work around this problem, use either of the following methods.
Method 1: Reattach the Data File in Word 6.x or 7.x
If you have the Word 97 import converter, follow these steps:
- Open the main document in Word 6.x or 7.x using the Word 97 import converter.
- On the Tools menu, click Mail Merge.
- Under Main Document, click Create, and then click Form Letters.
- Click Active Window.
- Under Data Source, click Get Data, and then click Open Data Source.
- Navigate to and select the Word 97 data document.
- Click Open.
- In the Mail Merge Helper dialog box click Close.
Method 2: Save the Documents in Word 6.0/95 Format
If you do not have the Word 97 import converter, save both the mail merge main document and the data document in Word 6.0/95 format. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the mail merge main document in Word 97.
- On the File menu click Save As.
- In the Save As Type list, click Word 6.0/95, and type a new file name.
- Repeat steps 1 through 3 for the data document.
- In Word 6.x or 7.x, open the main mail merge document you saved in step 3.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
For more information about how to obtain the Word 97-2000 Import Converter, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
162214 WD: How to Obtain the Word 97-2000 Import Converter
Additional query words: 8.0 8.00
Keywords: kbbug KB172819