Microsoft KB Archive/172734
Article ID: 172734
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.5
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.5
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q172734
When you type a static mapping in the Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) database, you may only see one entry appear. That entry has no sixteenth character hexadecimal identifier.
For example, you might type a unique static mapping for a computer with the NetBIOS name of RHINO having an IP address of 192.0.0.1. You expect to see the following entries:
RHINO(00h) 192.0.0.1 RHINO(03h) 192.0.0.1 RHINO(20h) 192.0.0.1
However, you may see the following instead:
WINS Manager is not configured to display the database using LAN Manager- compatible conventions.
To resolve this issue, enable the LAN Manager-compatible feature by performing the following steps:
- In WINS Manager, click Options, and then click Preferences.
- Click LAN Manager-Compatible to enable the option.
- Click OK.
For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
172384 WINS Database Displays Hyphens Instead of NetBIOS Suffix
Keywords: kbinfo kbnetwork KB172734