Microsoft KB Archive/172701
Article ID: 172701
Article Last Modified on 5/30/2006
- Microsoft Office 97 Developer Edition
This article was previously published under Q172701
Moderate: Requires basic macro, coding, and interoperability skills.
When you install a custom application created with the Microsoft Office 97 Developer Edition (ODE) Tools Setup Wizard, and that application includes ODBC functionality and the run-time option, you may receive the following error message
Setup will then continue as normal. At the end of Setup, you receive the following message:
This behavior occurs if you are running Windows 95 and you installed the updated ODBC drivers included in the following sources:
- ODBC 3.0 Driver Manager
- Microsoft Windows NT version 4.0 Service Pack 3
The computer that you used to create the disk images for your custom application contains updated versions of the ODBC files; however, the ODE Setup Wizard does not include all of the files on the disk images.
Install the Microsoft Office 97 Developer Edition Tools Service Pack 2 (ODESP2). This update can be found at the following locations:
- In the \ValuPack\ODBC folder of the Microsoft Office 97 Service Release 1 (SR-1) Enterprise Update CD.
- On the Microsoft Web site at:
NOTE: The Microsoft Office 97 Developer Edition Tools must be installed on the computer before you try to install the ODESP2. If the ODE is not on the computer when you start Setup, you will receive a message informing you that Setup could not find the ODE installed on your hard disk.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- On a computer running Microsoft Windows 95, create a simple database with a startup form.
- Start the ODE Setup Wizard.
- In the screen that prompts you to add the files that you want your custom Setup program to copy, select the database you created in Step 1. Click Next.
- Add a shortcut, and then click the Database Shortcut Properties tab. Click to select the Run-Time check box, and then click Next twice.
- On the screen that asks "Which of the following components do you want to include," click "ODBC Support With SQL Server."
- Click Next until you reach the last screen of the Setup Wizard, and then click Finish.
- On a clean computer, run Setup from the disk images you created in step 6.
- When the Welcome screen appears, click Next.
- Select the folder into which you want to install the application, and then click OK.
Note that you receive the error messages mentioned in the "Symptoms" section of this article.
For more information about the ODE Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
173096 ODE97: Summary of Changes in the ODE Service Pack 2(ODESP2)
For additional information about SR-1, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
172475 OFF97: How to Obtain and Install MS Office 97 SR-1
Additional query words: SR1 SP2 ODBCCP32 DLL
Keywords: kberrmsg kbbug kbfix KB172701