Microsoft KB Archive/172413
Article ID: 172413
Article Last Modified on 11/24/2000
- Microsoft Office 97 Service Pack 1
This article was previously published under Q172413
In Microsoft Word 97 Service Release 1 (SR-1), when you close a document that contains an embedded Microsoft Excel 97 worksheet object, you may receive the following error message:
If you click Details, you receive an error message similar to the following:
This problem may occur if the following conditions are true:
- The Microsoft Excel 97 worksheet object is still active when you close the Microsoft Word document.
- You close the Microsoft Word document by pressing CTRL+F4.
To resolve this problem, use any of the following methods to close a Microsoft Word document that contains an embedded Microsoft Excel 97 worksheet object:
- On the File menu, click Close.
- Click the Close button (the button with an "X"), located at the upper- right corner of the Microsoft Word document window.
- Deactivate the Microsoft Excel 97 worksheet by pressing ESC or by clicking anywhere in the Microsoft Word document. Then, close the document by pressing CTRL+F4.
If you quit Microsoft Word 97 SR-1 by pressing ALT+F4, by clicking Exit on the File menu, or by clicking the Close button at the upper-right corner of the Microsoft Word 97 program window, the problem does not occur.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Word 97 Service Release 1. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
NOTE: This problem does not occur in the original version of Microsoft Word 97.
When you close a Microsoft Word document by pressing CTRL+F4, if you click Yes when you are prompted to save changes to the document, the changes are correctly saved even if the problem occurs. The invalid page fault occurs after you save or close the document that contains the Microsoft Excel worksheet object.
Additional query words: XL97 WD97 ipf sr1 gpg
Keywords: kbbug kbinterop KB172413