Microsoft KB Archive/172386
Article ID: 172386
Article Last Modified on 10/22/2000
- Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q172386
When you use the Auto Outline command, you may receive the following error message:
If you click Details, you receive an error message similar to the following
and Microsoft Excel quits.
This problem occurs when the following conditions are true:
- You select a range of cells that contains a hidden row or column. -and-
- You point to Group And Outline on the Data menu, and then click Auto Outline. -and-
- You click OK to modify an existing outline.
To work around this problem, unhide any rows or columns in the current selection before you click Auto Outline. For example, to unhide row 2, follow these steps:
- Select cells A1:A3.
- On the Format menu, point to Row, and then click Unhide.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article.
For more information about the Auto Outline command, click the Index tab in Microsoft Excel Help, type the following text
and then double-click the selected text to go to the "Outline a worksheet automatically" topic.
Additional query words: XL97 ipf gpf
Keywords: kberrmsg kbbug KB172386