Microsoft KB Archive/172326
Article ID: 172326
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q172326
When you check the spelling in a document, the spelling checker may constantly recheck the same word.
This problem occurs when all of the following conditions are true:
- You click Change All in the spelling checker dialog box.
- The spelling checker finds more than one instance of a misspelled word.
- The misspelled word is not in the main or custom dictionaries.
Press ESC to stop the spelling checker from constantly rechecking the same word.
To prevent this problem from occurring, use any of the following methods:
Method 1: Add the Misspelled Word to the Custom Dictionary
To add the misspelled word to your custom dictionary, either click Add in the Spelling and Grammar dialog box, or right-click the misspelled word, and then click Add on the shortcut menu.
Method 2: Use Replace to Correct Your Misspelled Word
- On the Edit menu, click Replace.
- On the Replace tab, type the misspelled word in the Find what box.
- Press TAB to the Replace with box.
- Type your correction to the misspelled word and then click Replace All.
- When you are prompted with "Word has completed its search of the document and has made <n> replacements," click OK.
NOTE: <n> is the number of words that were replaced (corrected).
- Click Close to quit the Find and Replace dialog box.
Method 3: Change Each Misspelled Word Individually
- On the Tools menu, click Spelling and Grammar.
- When Word selects (flags) a misspelled word, type in the corrected spelling.
- Click Change All
- When you are prompted with "You have chosen a word that is not found in the main or custom dictionaries. Do you want to use this word and continue checking?," click No.
NOTE: The misspelled word is now changed and is still selected.
- Click Ignore. The spelling checker continues to the next misspelled word.
- Repeat your changes to the next misspelled word and then click Change.
- Repeat steps 1-3 until the spelling check is complete.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
For more information about correcting spelling errors, click the Office Assistant, type "spelling checking," click Search, and then click to view "Correct spelling and grammar."
NOTE: If the Assistant is hidden, click the Office Assistant button on the Standard toolbar. If Microsoft Help is not installed on your computer, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
120802 Office: How to Add/Remove a Single Office Program or Component
For more information about the spelling checker, please see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
157478 WD97: What's New in Word 97
164332 WD97: Can't Use the Spelling Check If Text Is Formatted with Certain Fonts
167621 WD97: Invalid Page Fault with Proofing Tools on Network
Additional query words: hang freeze endless continuous loop
Keywords: kbbug kbnofix kbproof KB172326