Microsoft KB Archive/172176
Article ID: 172176
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q172176
By default, the Open and Save As dialog boxes (on the File menu, click Open, or Save As) list files in ascending order, sorted by name. This article describes how to list files in descending order, and how to sort by file size, file type, or date modified.
To change the default sort order in the Open or Save As dialog boxes, follow these steps:
- On the File menu, click Open for the Open dialog box, or Save As for the Save As dialog box.
- In the dialog box that is displayed, click the Commands and Settings toolbar button (the last button on the right), and then click Sorting.
- Under Sort Files By, click to select to a choice in the drop-down list:
Name, Size, Type, or Modified.
- Click either Ascending or Descending, and then click OK.
NOTE: Sorting preferences in the Open and Save As dialog boxes are separate. Changes made in one dialog box are not reflected in the other.
For more information about sorting files, click the Office Assistant, type "How do I sort files?" (without the quotation marks), click Search, and then click to view the "Sort a list of files" topic.
NOTE: If the Assistant is hidden, click the Office Assistant button on the Standard toolbar. If Microsoft Help is not installed on your computer, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
120802 Office: How to Add/Remove a Single Office Program or Component
Additional query words: listed alphabetic alphabetically
Keywords: kbhowto kbui KB172176