Microsoft KB Archive/172173
Article ID: 172173
Article Last Modified on 8/9/1999
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 5.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visual FoxPro 5.0a
This article was previously published under Q172173
Stopping the WWW Publishing service in Internet Information Server (IIS) 3.0 after loading an Active Server Pages (ASP) page that instantiates a Visual FoxPro automation server causes an application error in Inetinfo.exe.
This error only occurs with in-process automation servers (DLL). Out-of- process automation servers (EXE) do not cause the error.
The Internet Information Server is only supported currently on Windows NT 4.0, Service Pack 2 and above.
Use an out-of-process automation server (EXE) instead of the in-process automation server (DLL).
NOTE: In order for the ASP Page to access the Out of Process Server you will need to set the 'AllowOutOfProcCmpnts' Windows registry entry to a value of '1'.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
NOTE: Following these steps will result in a crash on the IIS server.
It is recommended that you save all data before proceeding with these steps.
- Follow the steps in the following Knowledge Base article to create the Visual FoxPro automation server and the Active Server Page in accordance with the following article:
168053 HOWTO: Visual FoxPro Automation Servers and Active Server Pages
- Start the Internet Service Manager on the IIS Server.
- Access the Active Server Page using your Web browser.
- Stop the WWW Publishing Service.
Additional query words: IIS ASP OLE
Keywords: kberrmsg kbbug kbnetwork KB172173