Microsoft KB Archive/172153
Article ID: 172153
Article Last Modified on 10/31/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q172153
This article explains how to move your Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) database from an existing server running Windows NT 3.51 to a new server running Windows NT 4.0.
To move your WINS database from Windows NT 3.51 to Windows NT 4.0, use the following steps:
- Install WINS on the destination server.
- Stop the WINS service on both the destination and source servers:
- In Control Panel, double-click Services.
- Click Windows Internet Name Service and click Stop.
- Click Yes on the confirmation dialog box and click Close.
NOTE: Repeat the above steps for each of the two servers.
- On the destination server, delete all the files in the %Systemroot%\System32\Wins folder.
NOTE: Do NOT delete the Wins folder itself.
- Copy the following files from the %Systemroot%\System32\Wins folder on the source server to the %Systemroot%\System32\Wins folder on the destination server:
- Restart WINS on the destination server.
- Click OK on the pop-up window, which displays the following message:
WINS can not come up because the existent database needs conversion to NT SUR format. WINS has initiated the conversion via a process (jetconv). Once the conversion is complete, WINS will get started automatically. Do not reboot or kill the jetconv process. The conversion may take anywhere from a few minutes to around an hour (depending on the size of the databases). Please terminate WINS now by clicking on OK. This is required for the database conversion to succeed.
NOTE: THE WINS SERVICE WILL START AUTOMATICALLY AFTER THE CONVERSION IS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED. CHECK THE APPLICATION LOG TO SEE THE STATUS OF THE CONVERSION FOR THE WINS DB.
- Click OK on the next pop-up window, which displays the following message: where <server> is the name of your Windows NT 4.0 server.
- Click close.
The Jetconv.exe utility will start and attempt to convert the Windows NT 3.51 database to the newer Windows NT 4.0 format. After the conversion has successfully completed, the WINS service will automatically restart.
The original Windows NT 3.51 files that you copied to the destination server are backed up by the conversion utility and placed in the %Systemroot%\System32\Wins\351db folder. You can delete the System.mdb file from the Wins folder on the new WINS server after the conversion is complete. This file is no longer used in Windows NT 4.0.
Progress can be monitored by looking at the application log in Event Viewer. An application event ID 1000, with Source JET, will appear if the conversion completes successfully. If the method described here fails, the Upg351db.exe utility can also be used to convert the database manually. This file can be found on the Windows NT 4.0 server under %Systemroot%\System32 folder.
For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
158473 Upgrading the DHCP Database to Windows NT Server 4.0
Additional query words: migrate relocate
Keywords: kbinfo kbnetwork KB172153