Microsoft KB Archive/171826
Article ID: 171826
Article Last Modified on 11/5/2003
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Enterprise Edition
This article was previously published under Q171826
If a UserControl contains three textboxes and is placed upon a form with two more textboxes, the default behavior at run-time is to Tab between each textbox with the TabIndexes.
If you placed this same UserControl upon a UserDocument that has two more textboxes, pressing Tab at run-time allows the user to switch between the TextBoxes directly upon the UserDocument. Continuing to press the Tab key eventually gives the UserControl focus and where the Tab key fails.
If you tab into the UserControl and the first Textbox within the UserControl gets focus, when you press the Tab key, instead of going to the next Textbox within the UserControl you go the next Textbox on the UserDocument.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article. This bug has been fixed in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2.
For more information on the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
170365 : INFO: Visual Studio 97 Service Packs - What, Where, and Why
For a list of the Visual Basic 5.0 bugs that were fixed in the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
171554 : INFO: Visual Basic 5.0 Fixes in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Start Visual Basic and create an ActiveX Control project.
- Place two textbox controls on the Usercontrol you are creating.
- Close the designer window in Visual Basic.
- Add an ActiveX Document Project in Visual Basic.
- Place an instance of the UserControl you created on the ActiveX Document.
- Run the project in Visual Basic. This will create a .vbd file in the Visual Basic 5.0 root directory.
- Start IE and load the ActiveX Document(.vbd) you just created.
- Now, try tabbing to the next textbox on the UserControl. Note that you cannot tab between the controls in the UserDocument
Additional query words: kbDSupport
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbvbp500sp2fix kbvs97sp2fix KB171826