Microsoft KB Archive/171816
Article ID: 171816
Article Last Modified on 11/18/2003
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Learning Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Enterprise Edition
This article was previously published under Q171816
Attempting to open or save a form containing an SSTab control may cause Visual Basic to terminate with one of the following errors:
This problem can occur if the form (.frm file) contains incorrect information for the SSTab's child controls. This problem should only occur when the .frm file has been incorrectly edited outside of Visual Basic (such as with a text editor), or if the .frm file is otherwise corrupt.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article. This bug has been fixed in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2.
For more information on the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
170365 : INFO: Visual Studio 97 Service Packs - What, Where, and Why
For a list of the Visual Basic 5.0 bugs that were fixed in the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
171554 : INFO: Visual Basic 5.0 Fixes in Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Start a new "Standard EXE" project in Visual Basic 5.0.
- Choose Components from the Project menu and select "Microsoft Tabbed Dialog Control 5.0."
- Place an SSTab control on Form1.
- Add two TextBox controls (Text1, Text2) to Tab 0.
- Add two TextBox controls (Text3, Text4) to Tab 1.
- Save the project (Form1.frm and Project1.vbp).
- Exit Visual Basic.
- Start Notepad and open Form1.frm.
Delete the following lines from Form1.frm:
Tab(0).Control(1)= "Text2" Tab(0).Control(1).Enabled= 0 'False ... Tab(1).Control(1)= "Text4" Tab(1).Control(1).Enabled= 0 'False ... Begin VB.TextBox Text4 Height = 495 Left = 840 TabIndex = 4 Text = "Text4" Top = 1200 Width = 2775 End ... Begin VB.TextBox Text2 Height = 495 Left = -74160 TabIndex = 2 Text = "Text2" Top = 1200 Width = 2055 End
- Save Form1.frm and close Notepad.
- Restart Visual Basic and open Project1.vbp. Note that an error occurs.
These steps will also reproduce the problem if you create the original project in Visual Basic 4.0, edit the .frm file, then open the project in Visual Basic 5.0. In this case, the problem will occur when attempting to save the form.
Additional query words: crash gpf
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbvbp500sp2fix kbvs97sp2fix KB171816