Microsoft KB Archive/171794
Article ID: 171794
Article Last Modified on 10/31/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q171794
The static <1Ch> entries in your Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) servers are not being overwritten by dynamic entries, even though you have Migrate on/off enabled.
To resolve this problem, manually delete the static mappings using one of the following methods:
- Delete the static mapping entries by using WINS Manager:
- From the Mappings menu, click Static Mappings.
- Click the appropriate mapping, and then click Delete Mapping.
- Click Yes to confirm the deletion.
- Use the Winscl tool that is included in the Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit. Refer to the online help for Winscl, by typing winscl.exe /? at a command prompt.
After you remove the static entries, you need to restart the domain controllers for the domain or the entries are not refreshed until half of the domain controllers' renewal interval with WINS.
NOTE: This is especially important in the case of <1Ch> entries, because these entries are queried by clients requesting domain controllers for domain logon validation. If clients are unable to obtain a list of domain controllers from WINS they may receive a "domain controller not found" error message, and in many cases, they may lose access to domain resources.
This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4.
For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
199159 Replacing a WINS Static 1c with a Dynamic Entry with Windows NT 4.0 SP4
Keywords: kbnetwork kbprb KB171794