Microsoft KB Archive/171768
Article ID: 171768
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q171768
When you check the Log Settings in the Event Viewer you may receive the following error message:
In addition, you may also receive the error message:
Registry corruption is usually the cause for this error message.
To resolve this problem, perform the following steps:
- Use an updated Emergency Repair Disk (ERD) and choose to inspect registry files then choose to replace SYSTEM configuration.
For additional information about using the ERD, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
156328 Description of Windows NT emergency repair disk
103280 Using an emergency repair disk created by Windows NT
113976 Using emergency repair disk with fault tolerant partitions
- If there is no current ERD, try the repair process search for the Repair information. Otherwise, a tape restore containing a recent backup of the registry will be needed to restore the SYSTEM hive.
Additional query words: corrupted logs eventviewer
Keywords: kbprb KB171768