Microsoft KB Archive/171720
Article ID: 171720
Article Last Modified on 9/7/2001
- Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q171720
In Microsoft Excel 97, a print area that you saved with a custom view in an earlier version of Microsoft Excel may not be viewable.
This problem occurs if all of the following conditions are true:
- You save a custom view containing a print area in a workbook in Microsoft Excel version 5.0 or 7.0. -and-
- In Microsoft Excel 97, you switch to page break preview mode. -and-
- You display the custom view in page break preview mode.
To correct this problem, install Microsoft Excel 97 Service Release 1 (SR-1).
To work around this problem, manually re-create all of the views in the workbook. To do this, follow these steps:
- Select the range of cells you want in the print area.
- On the File menu, point to Print Area and click Set Print Area.
- On the View menu, click Custom Views.
- Click Add.
- Give the view a name and click OK.
NOTE: You must perform these steps for each view.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Excel 97 for Windows. This problem was corrected in Microsoft Excel 97 SR-1.
For additional information about SR-1, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
172475 OFF97: How to Obtain and Install MS Office 97 SR-1
In Microsoft Excel, you can use the Custom Views add-in (also called the View Manager) to create a custom view in a workbook. A view can consist of the following:
- Print area settings
- Hidden row and column settings
- Filter settings
For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
163271 XL97: Error Appears or View Not Retained Printing Reports
"Getting Results with Microsoft Excel 97," version 97, page 236
For more information about creating custom views, click the Index tab in Microsoft Excel 97 Help, type the following text
and then double-click the selected text to go to the "Create a View" topic.
Additional query words: XL97 sr1
Keywords: kbbug kbprint KB171720