Microsoft KB Archive/171333
Article ID: 171333
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q171333
When you right-click on a numbered paragraph in Microsoft Word 97, the Skip Numbering and Stop Numbering commands are no longer available on the shortcut menu.
This is a change from earlier versions of Word, in which these options are available on the shortcut menu.
This behavior is by design. The Skip Numbering and Stop Numbering commands are no longer needed because the Numbering button on the Formatting toolbar provides equivalent functionality.
How to Remove Numbering from a Numbered Item
To perform the equivalent of the Skip Numbering command, use either of the following methods:
- Place the insertion point within the numbered item.
- On the Formatting toolbar, click Numbering to remove the number.
- Place the insertion point at the beginning of the numbered item.
- Press BACKSPACE to remove the number.
Word removes both the number and the indent from the paragraph. To retain the indent, place the insertion point at the beginning of the paragraph and press TAB.
How to Stop the Numbering of Numbered Items
To perform the equivalent of the Stop Numbering command, follow these steps:
- Remove the numbering from the chosen item as described in the "How To Remove Numbering from a Numbered Item" section of this article.
- Right-click the numbered item for which you want to change numbering.
- On the shortcut menu, click Bullets and Numbering.
- Click to select Restart Numbering.
How to Add the Skip Numbering Command to the Shortcut Menu
You can add the Skip Numbering command to the shortcut menu for numbered paragraphs. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Tools menu, click Customize.
- On the Toolbars tab, scroll to the bottom of the list and click to select the Shortcut Menus check box.
NOTE: A Shortcut Menus toolbar is displayed.
- Click the Commands tab.
- Under Categories, click to select All Commands.
- Under Commands, click to select SkipNumbering, and then drag SkipNumbering to the Text menu on the Shortcut Menus toolbar. In the Text menu, point to Lists and then drop SkipNumbering into position on the shortcut menu.
NOTE: Because Word may not always use the Lists shortcut menu, you may also want to add SkipNumbering to the Spelling shortcut menu.
- In the Customize dialog box, click Close.
For additional information about customizing the toolbars, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
163547 WD97: How to Create Custom Toolbars and Toolbar Buttons
In earlier versions of Word, the Stop Numbering command (RemoveBulletsNumbers) removes numbering from the selected paragraphs, and then restarts numbering at one for the next numbered paragraph. In Word 97, the equivalent command does not restart numbering at one, but continues the previous numbering sequence.
For additional information about numbering, please see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Or, click the Office Assistant, type "numbering" (without the quotation marks), click Search, and then click one of the topics.
NOTE: If the Assistant is hidden, click the Office Assistant button on the Standard toolbar. If Word Help is not installed on your computer, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
120802 Office: How to Add/Remove a Single Office Program or Component
Additional query words: 8.0
Keywords: kbnumbering kbprb kbui KB171333