Microsoft KB Archive/171238
Article ID: 171238
Article Last Modified on 10/21/2000
- Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q171238
In Microsoft Excel 97, a module sheet tab may appear with worksheet tabs in a workbook. Note that this behavior is normal in earlier versions of Microsoft Excel; however, it is abnormal in Microsoft Excel 97. If you click the module sheet tab, Microsoft Excel 97 stops responding (hangs).
This behavior occurs when all of the following conditions are true:
- You save the workbook in the Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 Workbook (*.xls) format. -and-
- You insert multiple module sheets in the workbook after you save the file. -and-
- You save the workbook again after you insert the module sheets.
Note that you do not save the workbook in the Microsoft Excel 97 workbook format when you are prompted.
To correct this problem, install Microsoft Excel 97 Service Release 1 (SR-1).
To work around this problem, use either of the following appropriate methods:
- If you did not click a module sheet, close and open the workbook. -or-
- If you already clicked a module sheet, press CTRL+PAGE UP, close and then open the workbook.
After you use either method, the module sheet tab does not appear.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Excel 97. This problem was corrected in Microsoft Excel 97 SR-1.
For additional information about SR-1, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
172475 OFF97: How to Obtain and Install MS Office 97 SR-1
Additional query words: XL97 hang freeze lock sr1
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbprogramming KB171238