Microsoft KB Archive/171215
Article ID: 171215
Article Last Modified on 7/13/2004
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Enterprise Edition
This article was previously published under Q171215
The Data Form Wizard allows the user to create a quick form that can access many types of data, including remote data. This article explains how to connect to a Remote Data Source through DAO. This is possible if a link is established from the Access MDB file to the remote data source.
- Create a new project and select the Add-Ins menu, Add-In Manager, and then select Visual Basic Data Form Wizard.
- The Add-Ins menu contains the option "Data Form Wizard." Select this and, in the second screen, select Access as the Database Format.
- The next screen will ask for the Database Name. This database needs to be created in Access where the user will simply "Link" the remote database to the Access MDB file. Select External Database and then Link from the file menu in Access. (See Access online Help if you need to know how to link a file.)
NOTE: This assumes that a Remote Data Source (DSN) has been created in the ODBC Data Source Administrator.
- Select the Form Type, choose Next, and then select the Record Source, choosing whatever fields you would like to have appear on the form.
- Choose Finish, name the form, and run it. The user is now accessing a Remote database from the Wizard-generated form via DAO.
For more information about linking databases, search for "Linking Files to an Access Database" in the Microsoft Access Help menu.
For more information about using the Data Form Wizard, search for "Data Form Wizard" in Microsoft Visual Basic 5 Help.
Additional query words: kbVBp500 kbVBp600 kbADO kbdse kbDSupport kbVBp
Keywords: kbhowto KB171215