Microsoft KB Archive/171208
Article ID: 171208
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Access 95 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q171208
Advanced: Requires expert coding, interoperability, and multiuser skills.
When you open a database replica in Microsoft Access 7.0 or 97, you may receive the following error message:
This may be followed by the following error message, depending on your version of Microsoft Access.
In Microsoft Access 97
In Microsoft Access 7.0
You are trying to open the replica read-only immediately after it was created or synchronized with another replica.
When you open a replica for the first time after its creation or synchronization with another replica, open it for read/write access. This will ensure that Microsoft Access is able to compile and store the Visual Basic for Applications project in the replica. The next time you open the replica, you will be able to open it for read-only access.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Access 7.0 and 97.
The first time you open a replica after its creation, or after synchronization with another replica whose Visual Basic for Applications project has changed, Microsoft Access will attempt to compile and store the replica's Visual Basic for Applications project. The compiled Visual Basic for Applications project is stored in an internal system table.
When you open a replica for the first time after its creation or synchronization with another replica, Microsoft Access cannot store the compiled Visual Basic for Applications project in the replica if you are opening it read-only. This results in the error(s) listed in the "Symptoms" section.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Create a new, blank database.
- On the Tools Menu, point to Replication, and then click Create Replica.
- Click Yes when prompted to close the current database.
- Click No when prompted to create a backup of the database.
- Select a location for the new replica, and then click OK. You will receive a confirmation message indicating the database has been converted to a Design Master, and that a replica has been created. Click OK to close the message.
- On the File menu, click Open Database.
- Locate the replica you created in step 5, right-click it to view its shortcut menu, and then click Open Read-Only. Note that you receive the error message:
Additional query words: can t update database or object is read only
Keywords: kbbug kberrmsg KB171208