Microsoft KB Archive/170983
Article ID: 170983
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Access 95 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q170983
Novice: Requires knowledge of the user interface on single-user computers.
If you try to change the RowSourceType property of a combo box from a value list to a query after the form has been saved, closed, and reopened, the following behavior occurs:
- The RowSource property of the form will retain the values in the value list.
- The drop-down list of the combo box on the form will contain the values from the query.
- A new query, named from the values in the value list, will appear in the Database window.
This behavior occurs if you do not clear out the value list before you try to create the query.
Make sure you delete the RowSource property before trying to create the query.
This behavior is by design.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Open the sample database Northwind.mdb.
- Create a new form in Design view not based on any table or query.
- Add a combo box to the form using the Combo Box wizard.
- On the first screen of the wizard, click the "I will type in the values I want" option, and then click Next.
In Col1, type the following:
- apples - oranges - peaches - pears - grapes
- Click Finish to close the wizard. Close and save the form.
- Reopen the form in Design view, and open the property box for the combo box.
- Make the following changes:
- In the RowSourceType box, click to select Table/Query.
- In the RowSource box, click the Build button.
- In the Query builder, add the Customers table to the query.
- Drag the CustomerID field to the query grid.
- Run and then close the query. Click Yes when asked if you want to save the changes made to the query and update the property. Note that the RecordSource property still shows the value list.
- Switch the form to Form view and select an item in the combo box list. Note that the list now shows the values from the query.
- Switch to the Database window. Note that a new query has been added with the values from the value list.
For more information about creating a value list for a combo box, search the Help Index for "value lists," and then "Find a record by selecting a value from a list."
Keywords: kbprb kbui KB170983