Microsoft KB Archive/170800
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft PowerPoint 97 for Windows
When you run the Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 97 Setup program, you receive the following error message:
Setup cannot register Hlink.dll in the system registry because an older version is in use. Close all applications and try again.
PowerPoint Viewer 97 contains an updated version of the Hlink.dll. If you have an older version of Hlink.dll on your computer, you may receive this error message.
Method 1: Close All Running Applications and Click Retry
If any application that is running is using the older version of Hlink.dll or if Hlink.dll is loaded in memory, Setup is unable to register the file. Close all applications and then click Retry. To do this, follow these steps:
NOTE: Do not cancel the PowerPoint Viewer 97 Setup application; leave it running.
- Right-click each program that appears on the Windows Taskbar, and then click Close.
- Switch to Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 97 Setup and click Retry.
NOTE: After you close all running applications, it may take several seconds for Hlink.dll to unload from memory. Wait a few extra seconds or click Retry more than once. If Hlink.dll is not in memory, PowerPoint Viewer 97 Setup continues.
Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 97 Setup should continue normally.
If you click Retry after you close all applications (nothing is listed on the Taskbar except for the Viewer setup program), but the problem is not resolved, Hlink.dll is still loaded in memory. For example, some utility (or program that is not listed in the Taskbar) is using the older version of Hlink.dll. To ensure that Hlink.dll is not running when you run setup, rename Hlink.dll before you run the Setup program. A newer version of Hlink.dll will be installed by the PowerPoint Viewer Setup Program.
Connect to the following Internet location:
NOTE: Because the Microsoft Web site is constantly updated, the site address may change without notice. If this occurs, link to the Microsoft Office Update home page at the following address:
- Save the PPView97.exe file to a folder on your hard disk.
- Restart your computer.
- Rename Hlink.dll to Hlink.old. Hlink.dll is located in the \Windows\Sytem folder (Windows 95) or in the \Winnt\System32 folder (Windows NT).
- On the Windows Start menu, point to Find, and click Files or Folders.
- In the Named box type: Hlink.dll Select the drive where you installed Windows and click to select the Include Subfolders check box.
- Click Find Now.
- Right-click Hlink.dll and click Rename.
Change the name to something like Hlink.old.
NOTE: If you are running any programs that are using Hlink.dll, you may not be able to rename the file. Make sure no applications are running and try to rename the file again.
- Run the Viewer Setup program again by double-clicking PPView97.exe.
The Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 97 Setup should continue normally.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Additional query words: hyperlink unable broken
Keywords : kbsetup kbdta
Issue type : kbprb
Technology : kbPowerPtSearch kbPowerPt97 kbPowerPt97Search
Last Reviewed: May 26, 2001