Microsoft KB Archive/170785
Article ID: 170785
Article Last Modified on 8/28/2007
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q170785
In Microsoft Outlook 97, if you click the bottom folder in the folder list, and subsequently click each folder above, you may receive the following error message when you click the Contacts folder:
NOTE: This error also occurs when exiting Outlook 97.
This error occurs under the following circumstances:
- You have either the Distributed Component Object Model for Windows 95 (DCOM95) or Microsoft Internet Explorer, version 4.0 installed.
- You have the Handheld PC (H/PC) Explorer, version 1.1 installed.
- You have WinFax Pro, version 8.0 or 8.01 installed.
There are several ways to resolve this problem.
You can disable the H/PC Explorer and WinFax Pro extension used by Outlook. H/PC Explorer 1.1 installs an extension called PMail. WinFax Pro 8.0 and 8.01 install an extension called DCCExtension.
To disable or remove the extensions, follow these steps:
- Start Outlook.
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- Click the General tab.
- Click Add-In Manager.
- Click to clear the extension you want to disable. If you want to remove an extension from your computer, click to select the extension, and then click Remove.
- Click OK and OK again to close all dialog boxes.
You can remove DCOM95 or Microsoft Internet Explorer, 4.0 from your computer.
To remove DCOM95, follow these steps:
- On the Windows taskbar, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Click to select "DCOM for Windows 95" and click Add/Remove.
- When prompted, click Yes to restart your computer.
To remove Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0, you must install Windows 95 into a clean folder. Unlike DCOM95, which can restore old OLE files, Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 cannot.
Both DCOM95 and IE 4.0 update the OLE files; it is these updates, in combination with the program extensions, that cause the problem.
Steps to Reproduce Problem
- Install DCOM95 (It can be located in Visual Basic, version 5.0, Visual C++, version 5.0, and Visual Studio 97).
- Install H/PC Explorer 1.1.
- Start Outlook.
- On the View menu, click Folder List.
- Click the bottom folder in the list.
- Click each subsequent folder above until you reach Contacts.
Handheld PC Explorer, version 1.1 is available on the Microsoft Web site at the following address:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 is available on the Microsoft Web site at the following address:
NOTE: Because the Microsoft Web site is regularly updated, the site address may change without notice. If this occurs, link to the Microsoft home page at the following address:
Keywords: kberrmsg kbprb KB170785