Microsoft KB Archive/170734
Article ID: 170734
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q170734
When you cut or copy some objects inserted into a page of labels created by clicking New Document on the Label tab, the following error message may appear:
When you click Details, the following error message is shown:
NOTE: The Label tab can be accessed by clicking Envelopes And Labels on the Tools menu.
The object was inserted as Float Over Text by one of the following methods.
- On the Insert menu, click Object.
- Click the Create New tab.
- Click an object (for example: Microsoft Map), and then click OK.
- On the Insert menu, point to Picture and then click Clip Art.
- Click to select the graphic you want, and then click Insert.
To prevent the error from occurring, use any of the following methods to change the object from a floating object to an inline object.
Method 1: Object Already in the Document
- Click the object to select it, and then click Picture on the Format menu.
- Click the Position Tab, and then click to clear the Float Over Text check box.
NOTE: When clip art is inserted from the Microsoft Clip Gallery, the clip art is always inserted as a floating object. Method 1 should be used to turn off the Float Over Text option before you copy or cut an image inserted from Microsoft Clip Gallery.
Method 2: Insert Picture as Inline
- On the Insert Menu, point to Picture, and then click From File.
- Look In should point to the Clipart directory or the directory where your clip art has been stored.
- If necessary, double-click Popular or a different folder.
- Click to select the image you want to insert.
- Click to clear the Float Over Text check box, and then click Insert.
Method 3: Insert Object as Inline
- On the Insert Menu, click Object.
- Click to clear the Float Over Text check box, scroll through the list of objects, and then click to select the object you want to insert.
- Click OK.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article.
For additional information on instances of Word not responding (hanging), please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
163365 WD97: Hang During Copy/Paste or Drag/Drop of Object After Undo
For additional information on Float Over Text, please see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
When inserting a graphic into a label, it is very common to insert the graphic as an inline object rather than a floating object. For more information about converting floating objects to inline objects, please see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
167738 WD97: Can't See or Manipulate Objects (and Other Odd Behavior)
For more information about floating objects, click the Office Assistant, type "floating objects," click Search, and then click "Label a graphic or insert text in a shape."
For more information about adding graphics to labels, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
123312 WD: How to Add a Graphic or Logo to Every Label on a Page
For more information about positioning objects, click the Office Assistant, type "float over text," click Search, and then click one of the following topics:
- About positioning text and graphics
- Type over existing text
- Select text and graphics
- Change a floating picture to an inline picture and vice-versa
Additional query words: 8.0 word97
Keywords: kbbug kbpending KB170734