Microsoft KB Archive/170647
Article ID: 170647
Article Last Modified on 5/18/2001
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q170647
When you attempt to synchronize offline folders in Microsoft Outlook 97, you may receive the following error message:
You may also encounter this error when using Outlook to check a cc:Mail e-mail account.
You may have installed an older version of the Microsoft Windows 95 Update to Enhance Password Security for the Original Equipment Manufacturer's (OEM) Service Release 2 or 2.1 (OSR2) version of Windows 95. This version of Windows 95 is only sold with new computers.
You can resolve this problem by either removing the OSR2 Windows 95 Update to Enhance Password Security, or by downloading and installing the newer OSR2 Windows 95 update over the existing update. Microsoft recommends downloading and installing the newer OSR2 Windows update.
NOTE: The Microsoft download site on the web contains two different, Windows 95 Update to Enhance Password Security, patches:
- Secupd2.exe (508,560 bytes) is for Windows 95 OEM release 2 or 2.1 (version 4.00.950 B). This is the version you should install if you are experiencing the problem described in this article.
- Secupd.exe (496,772 bytes) is for Windows 95 retail (version 4.00.950) or OSR1 (version 4.00.950 A).
Installing the Newer Update
To resolve this problem, you can install the newer update over the old one. Download the new version of Secupd2.exe and double-click to install. You should then be able to synchronize your off-line folders.
The new version of Secupd2.exe is available on the Microsoft Internet site at the following URL:
Steps to Remove the Update
NOTE: The following steps are not necessary if you intend to install the newer version of the OSR2 Windows 95 Update to Enhanced Password Security. Use these steps only if you intend to remove the update. Microsoft does not recommend removing the update.
If you downloaded and installed from the older file, follow these steps to remove the update:
- Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the C:\Windows\INF\QFE\ folder and using your right mouse button click Pwsec_un.inf.
- From the context sensitive menu, click Install.
- When prompted, insert your OEM OSR2 Win95 CD and Browse to the \Win95\Win95_14.cab file.
The install should automatically extract the correct files.
NOTE: If you cancel the Install, the Pwsec_un.inf file is deleted and you have to reinstall the update to recover it.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the OEM OSR2 Windows 95 Update to Enhance Password Security. This problem is fixed in a newer version of the update.
For more information on the Microsoft Windows 95 Update to Enhanced Password Security, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
165402 Windows 95 Update to Encrypt Passwords in Memory